Students in grades 6-12 who are enrolled in Miami Dade County public schools, participating private and charter schools, or home school are eligible to participate in the MDC dual enrollment program.
Students must have:
- A minimum 3.0 high school unweighted grade point average (GPA)
- Passed the appropriate Reading and Writing sections of the College’s Basic Skills Assessment placement test (ACCUPLACER or PERT), or submitted adequate SAT/ACT scores.
- Permission from the parent/guardian, school principal and counselor
- Met with the College dual enrollment coordinator at the campus he/she plans to attend
- An understanding that the amount of work necessary to succeed in dual enrollment courses will be greater than in high school courses
Note: Students participating in dual enrollment must earn a grade of “C” or higher in their college-level courses and maintain a 3.0 GPA in high school to continue participation. Students whose College GPA falls below 2.0 are ineligible to continue dual enrollment. Students may lose eligibility if they are disruptive to the learning process.
The only exception to the required GPA is for Student Life Skills (SLS) courses that help students make the transition to college, provide orientation to college life and help develop academic, career, and personal goals. To enroll in SLS courses, students must have a minimum 2.50 high school weighted GPA. Although no specific scores are required, students must be assessed and have valid ACCUPLACER, PERT, ACT or SAT scores.
Students are responsible for providing their own transportation to the College.
Steps to apply for DE:
- Complete the MDC APPLICATION
- Click on link: https://www.mdc.edu/southdadeseniorhigh/default.aspx?utm_source=high-school-listing&utm_campaign=highschools
- Click on “Apply to MDC”
- Send Mrs. Rivera an email from your student email with the following information 1. MDC ID# 2. Parent email.
- A DE and Test referral will then be submitted on your behalf.
- Schedule an appointment with the Testing Center.
- Click on Link: https://www.mdc.edu/main/testing/
- After exam completion:
- Contact Ms. Lindsey Mendelsohn -Pre-College Advisor (PCA)
- Click on “Send you PCA a message”
- She will advise you the classes you are eligible to register for
- View the following attachments in preparation to choose your classes:
You should review at the Associate in Arts Degree Pathway. I can email you a copy upon request.
- Complete Enrollment Form
- Order Textbooks
Wait for classes to start – Stay on top of your MDC email and calendar. I will NOT be reminding you of your schedule.
Questions: email Ms. Rivera at email@example.com or Ms. Lindsey Mendelsohn at firstname.lastname@example.org